About Loyd Star School
An early settlement in Lincoln County was Red Star, which was known as East’s Mill at the time of its founding. It took its name from the East family which settled in 1833. The father, Joel East, and his son, Thomas W. East, were the first settlers. William T. East was born in 1866, and James W. East was born in 1867. In 1862 their father had volunteered for service in the Confederate army.
After the Civil War, a post office was established in 1888 under the name of Red Star, with William East and his brother James serving as postmaster and assistant postmaster. Later Red Star school would be consolidated with Loyd Hall school and would be known as Loyd Star.