Welcome to Loyd Star Attendance Center! We are a school community who cares deeply about meeting the needs of our student population and providing them with rigorous, standards-based instruction and a comprehensive educational program. Our community of learners are made up of outstanding students, an expert and dedicated staff of caring professionals, active and involved parents and a supportive community. We are committed to working together toward the success of all of the children at Loyd Star Attendance Center.
Loyd Star Attendance Center
1880 Highway 550 NW
Brookhaven, MS 39601
Robin Case, Principal
Loyd Star School Calendar 2013-2014 HERE
Current Events & Important InformationFor more Loyd Star news, CLICK HERE
- School of Arts representative to visit campus: A representative from the school of arts will be coming to talk with any 8th or 9th graders who are interested in attending on April 9, at 9:30. Some of the fields of study at the school of arts is: dance, visual arts, theater, creative arts, and vocal music.
- KDMC is now taking Junior Volunteer Applications. This program is for high school students 15-18 years of age with a GPA of 2.5 or greater. Applications can be picked up in the counselor's office but must be returned to KDMC by April 30, 2014.
- Golf News: Congratulations to our golf teams. They both defeated Enterprise yesterday. Match Medalist was Caleb Windham. They will be in action again on Thursday, 4/3 at the Brookhaven Country Club.
- Tennis News:
- Loyd Star fell to Lawrence County 3/31 with a game score of 4-3. Congratulations to Caylee Grace Yarborough, Ashlyn Locke, Faith Bergeron, Lani Smith and Anna Thomas for their wins. Next match is Wednesday vs. WL at 4:00 at the Brookhaven Country Club. This is a big district match for the team. Please come out and support the Hornets as they try and secure a spot in the playoffs.
- FFA Banquet will be Thursday, April 10
Herff Jones will be here to deliver invitations this FRIDAY at 8:30. Seniors who ordered invitations from Herff Jones will be called to the old career center to pick up their invitations.
The CLASS RING rep will be here on Monday, April 7 at 9 to present class rings to sophomores. He will return on Friday, April 11 to take orders.
Any student in grades 9-12 who would be interested in participating in a bass fishing tournament needs to see Ms. Lydia King to pick up information. Students are required to write an essay. The Bass High School Nation group will pick 3 lucky recipients. Any student ages 11-18 who would like to be part of a formal fishing team needs to see Ms. Case to pick up contact info.
Any junior or senior boy who would like to apply for the opportunity to attend the American Legion Boys State can pick up an information packet and application in Mrs. Redd's office. Deadline to apply is May 10, 2014.
- Beta Club/Student Council fundraiser has started selling spirit cards for Blair E. Batson, the cards are $10 and have 19 businesses on them for discounts until March 31, 2015! Let Lydia King or Mrs. Xifos know if you want one and please spread the word.
- The 3rd Nine Weeks honor roll is posted in the office window. Please check the list for your name if you made honor roll.
- Congratulations to our BAND. They received ALL SUPERIORS in the State Concert Festival in Ridgeland yesterday. Thanks to Mr. Neal and the band for your hard work!!! We are so proud of you!!!
- Trustmark will be here April 8, at 8:00 am to meet with seniors in the gym and talk about credit counseling.
- Fastpitch is having their annual chicken strip dinner fundraiser going on now through April 11th. Cost is $8 and includes chicken strips, fries, a roll, and a cookie
- Kappa Kappa lota Rho Chapter now has scholarship applications available in the counselor's office. Deadline to return applications to the counselor's office is Friday, April 4, 2014.
- The Will Valentine Memorial Scholarship is now available. Seniors must be nominated for this scholarship. The student must exemplify the volunteer spirit of the Junior Auxiliary and must be an active and constructive participant in their community. If you would like to nominate a student, please come by my office and get a nomination form to complete
- CONGRATULATIONS to the Senior Beta Club. They were recognized as the Mississippi Service Award Champions at the Mississippi Senior Beta Club Convention.
- MSU Lincoln County Alumni Association is now offering a $500 scholarship to prospective Lincoln County students planning on attending MSU in the fall of 2014. Applications can be picked up in the counselor's office. Deadline to return applications to counselor is April 4, 2014.
- Dual Enrollment Class - Any juniors or seniors of 2014-2015 who would like to take a dual enrollment class in the fall of 2014 need to come sign up in the counselor's office by Feb. 28. Classes that may be offered on campus or at West Lincoln are English Comp I, English Comp II, and speech. All dual enrollment students have to be registered this spring to be eligible to take a fall class. Students must have a ACT English subscore of 17 in order to take English Comp I or II. If you would like to take dual enrollment classes MAKE SURE to sign up and take the ACT.
- Cafeteria -The cafeteria is on a new computer program that will not allow you to charge above the $5.00 limit. Please don't get in line if you have been told you are at that limit. The lunchroom cashiers tell you daily the amount you have charged . Please do not put everybody in a hard situation by attempting to charge above the limit. If you have any questions about the amount you owe please ask before getting your plate.
- First Tech Challenge-Mrs. Jessica Franklin's robotics team went to a FTC qualifier on Nov. 9. And won the Inspire Award. Winning that award qualified them for the state championship. They were one of the three teams that qualified. They went to FTC qualifier on Jan. 18, in Jackson. There they won the connect award for involving in their community in the robotics program. They also won the finalist award for their alliance coming in second place in the finals.
- Seniors planning on attending MS State in the fall of 2014 can attend MSU Orientation but you must register to attend. Register for orientation at www.orientation.msstate.edu Sessions will be filled on a first come first serve basis.
- Congratulations to our Hall of Fame recipients: Haley Smith, Reagan Myers, Leanne Locke and Anna Noble
- Congratulations to our Citizenship winners: Seth Farmer and Leanne Locke and also to our Outstanding Character seniors: Dustin Hart and Marlana Smith.
- Sophomores: If you are interested in taking a dual enrollment class at Colin this summer or on a high school campus in the fall, make sure to take your ACT this spring. Once you complete your sophomore year and have an ACT of 16 or above and a GPA of 3.0 or above, you can eligible for dual enrollment classes. ACT DATES: April 12- deadline to register is March 7, 2014, June 14- deadline to register is May 9, 2014
- The Exchange Club of Brookhaven is offering a scholarship for $1000 per year for four years. The criteria in selecting this scholarship recipient include service, leadership, community involvement, GPA, ACT scores and a short essay. Applications can be picked up in the counselor's office. Deadline to apply is April 2, 2014.
- 2014 Varsity Tennis Team has been chosen. Congratulations to Bryson Brister, Reid Butler, Connor Crosby, Tyler Dunn, Cole Moak, Gavin Thomas, Toni Banks, Faith Bergeron, Madisyn Brister, Julie Kramer, Ashlyn Locke, Jordan Shelby, & Caylee Grace Yarborough, & our 2014 Junior Varsity Tennis Team: Jacob Piazza, Ruby McCullough, Caitlyn Cade, Lani Smith, Anna Thomas.
- Senior MS Scholars need to come by Mrs. Redd's office asap and pick up a MS Scholars Scholarship Application. If this application isn't completed and turned to Mrs. Redd then you will not be eligible for a MS Scholar's Scholarship.
- A very BIG congratulations to Ms. Katie Furr for being named Loyd Star Attendance Center 2013-2014 Teacher of the Year.
- Congratulations!! Haleigh Hux is this year's STAR Student and has selected Mr. Billy Sumrall as STAR teacher.
- Commerical food packaging should NOT be in the cafeteria per federal child nutrition guidelines. If you have food from a commerical entity with branded packaging, please remember you must transfer it to other containers or wrapping PRIOR to bringing it into the cafeteria. Example: Some one brings you lunch from Mc Donalds, packaging must be removed. If you have a non-branded package that is fine. These guidelines apply to employees as well as students.
- Vehicles on Campus - Students with VEHICLES ON CAMPUS must complete the V.O.C. form. Forms are available in the office lobby. Return completed form to Mrs. Della.
- Congratulations to Seth Farmer & Haley Smith. They are our Wendy's Heisman Winners this year.
- Community Service Hours - Students in grades 9-12 who would like community service hours can volunteer to work the basketball concession stand. There is a sign up list in Mrs. Redd's office for those who are interested.
- ACT Dates - ACT dates are posted on the counselor's bulletin board. Make sure you check deadlines to sign up for the ACT.
- Senior Scholarships - Listed in the "Counselor's Corner". Please check this regularly for updates from our school counselor, Mrs. Redd.
- Congratulations to our Who's Who, Class Officers, Favorites, Pageant winners, and Handsomes -
- Mr. & Miss Loyd Star - Bradley Archer & Haleigh Hux
- Best Dressed - Marlana Smith & Sawyer Watts
- Most Courteous - Marlana Smith & Bradley Archer
- Friendliest - Reagan Myers & Bailey Smith
- Most Likely to Succeed - Tyler Dunn & Leanne Locke
- Shyest - Ashley Jones & Dustin Hart
- Best School Spirit - Kenbrianna Foster & Bradley Archer
- Most Dependable - Tyler Dunn & Haleigh Hux
- Most Athletic - Lexie Butler & La' Treall Smith
- Most Artisitc - Ashley Jones & Sawyer Watts
- Wittiest - Caleb Windham & Kristen Britt
- Pageant Winners - Kindergarten Division - Macy Jackson, Most Beautiful, Kamryn Faith Robbins, Emma Claire King, lilly Grace Fortenberry, 1st & 2nd Grade Division - Aubrey Claire Bowman, Most Beautiful, Sayerd Harveston, Ady Locke, Madison Altman, Atleigh Anding, 3rd & 4th Divison - Allie Ferguson, Most Beautiful, Wednesday Warren, Jenna Rayne Smith, Lauren Laken Smith, Carson Hughey, 5th & 6th Divison - Madison King, Most Beautiful, Allie Faye Smith, Anna Ferguson, Morgan Brister, Kamyn Barlow, 7th & 8th Divison - Anna Katelyn Britt, Most Beautiful, Darian Strittman, Abby Thomas, Madelynn Thornton, Abigail Grace Smith, 9th & 10th Divison - Makenzie Claire Smith, Most Beautiful, Alexis Norton, Lydia Britt, Taylor Berch, Courtney Rushing, 11th & 12th Divison - Kennedy Foster, Most Beautiful, Kimberly Anding, P'Laura King, Megan Givens, Abigail Hux
- 9-12 Handsomes - Brett Calcote, Most Handsome. Hayden Brownlee, Seth Farmer, Jordan Michell, Caleb Yarborough
- 7-8 Handsomes - Brent Cade, Most Handsom, Blayne Brister, Cade Hodges, Logan Murray, Dane Smith
- 7th Grade - President: Katelyn Smith, Vice President: Brent Cade, Secretary: Dane Smith, Treasurer: Rials Hester
- 8th Grade - President: Bryson Brister, Vice President: Blayne Brister, Secretary; Madison Brister, Treasurer: Brantley Brister
- 9th Grade - President: Courtney Wyant, Vice President: Lesley Walker, Secretary: Pollyanna Patterson, Treasurer: Jered Smith
- 10th Grade - President: Toni Banks, Vice President: Madison Jones, Secretary: Megan Norton, Treasurer: Kelsie McCullough
- 11th Grade - President: Marcey Givens, Vice President: Caitlyn Cade, Secretary: Jordan Michel, Treasurer: Megyn Rhoads
- Senior Class Officers - President: Haley Smith, Vice President: Leanne Locke, Secretary: Anna Noble, Treasurer: Tyler Dunn
- 7th Grade - Anna Kaitlyn Britt, Kaitlyn Smith, Braden Ezell, Brent Cade
- 8th Grade - Halee Henderson, Julecia Smith, Cade Hodges, Dylan Smith
- 9th Grade - Faith Bergeron, Taylor Berch, Konnor Allen, Parker Flowers
- 10th Grade - Julie Smith, Toni Banks, Nathan Britt, Gene Evans
- 11th Grade - Victoria Cupit, Caitlyn Cade, Hayden Brownlee, Peyton Flowers
- Senior Class Favorites - Haleigh Hux, Lexi Butler, Kenbrianna Foster, Ashley Walker, Bailey Smith, La' Treall Smith, Dustin Hart, Sawyer Watts
- Early Dismissal - It is under accountability standards that students who leave school early must sign out. We are going to be audited on this issue. Accountability Standards and Process Standards are required to be met by state law.
- Congratulations - Our principal, Mrs. Robin Case, was elected to serve as the MHSAA District 7 - 2A Executive Committee Member for the 2013 - 2014 term. This committee serves as the legislative body for MHSAA and governs all proposals concerning athletics and other MHSAA sanctioned activities.
- Early Dismissal (11th and 12th grade only) - Remember you may ONLY sign out in office prior to leaving campus.
- Student insurance forms are available in the office lobby.
- ACT Rule: Any student who registers for the ACT must now upload a picture to actstudent.org and print it on their admission ticket to be admitted to the ACT. Students who do not have this picture printed on their admission ticket will NOT be allowed to enter the testing room on the ACT testing date.