Welcome to Loyd Star Attendance Center! We are a school community who cares deeply about meeting the needs of our student population and providing them with rigorous, standards-based instruction and a comprehensive educational program. Our community of learners are made up of outstanding students, an expert and dedicated staff of caring professionals, active and involved parents and a supportive community. We are committed to working together toward the success of all of the children at Loyd Star Attendance Center.
Loyd Star Attendance Center
1880 Highway 550 NW
Brookhaven, MS 39601
Robin Case, Principal
Loyd Star School Calendar 2013-2014 HERE
Current Events & Important InformationFor more Loyd Star news, CLICK HERE
- Baseball Camp will be June 3, 4 & 5 from 9-12 and will cost $60 (includes t-shirt with early registration). It is open for all boys entering grades 4-8. Forms can be picked up at either office.
- Students who want their SATP scores sent to them this summer need to bring a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the counselor's office by May 23. If you address the envelope to the parent, please write the students name somewhere on the envelope, otherwise we may not know whose scores to send.
- Cross Country Track Team - We are proud to announce that LS will be having a Cross Country Track Team beginning 2014-2015 school year. If you are interested in participating please sign up in the office lobby. Cross Country try-outs will be on Saturday, August 2nd at 8:00 am at Loyd Star. Try outs will consist of running 1.5 miles with a goal of running it in at least 20 minutes or less. Please use the summer to prepare for the try-outs. If you have a smart phone, you can download a running app to help you time yourself. If you have any further questions, please contact Mrs. Michelle Case at 601.757.6409.
- Loyd Star Tennis Camp - The LS Tennis Team will be holding a 2 day tennis camp for students ages 5-12 on June 11 and 12 from 8:30 - 11:30. The cost of the camp is $35 for one participant. Each additional participant in the same family will be $30. Fee includes camp t-shirt, snacks, and drinks. Students will be required to bring their own Junior racquets, which can be purchased at Walmart. Forms are due May 19.
- Dual Enrollment Students: CoLin is having a maymester which is a class taught in May that last 2 weeks from 8:00 to 12:30 pm, starting Monday, May 19. The class being taught is Music Appreciation. If you would like to take this college class, please contact Mrs. Redd.
- Congratulations to Haley Smith our 2014 Valedictorian and Reagan Myers our 2014 Salutatorian.
- Upcoming May activities:
- May 19 Senior Awards Night in gym 6:30
- May 20 Awards Night in gym 6:30 Grades 7-11
- May 21-23 All other exams
- May 21 Athletic Banquet at Civic Center 6:00 -Parent tickets $15 and available in HS office
- May 23 Graduation on football field 8:00
- May 23 Last day of school for students 60% day
- May 29 Late Kindergarten Registration 8-11:30 and 1-3
- July 29 Grades 9-12 schedule pick-up 8-3
- July 30-31 Grades 9-12 can request changes only if there is a definite need from 8-11:30 and 1-3.
- August 1 New student registration in the library 8:30-2:30
- Congratulations to our Baseball and Fastpitch teams for great seasons. Your hard work is noticed and appreciated. Thanks to all the coaches for your perseverance and dedication to your team.
- Yearbooks have been delivered. Presently we aren't sure if there will be extras. If there are extras they will be $90 each. This is the cost it takes to print each and every yearbook. By purchasing during the regular order time you get a discounted rate. You can check back later the week of May 5th if interested. First come-first served. Cash or money order only. We will write you a receipt when paid
- Tennis News: Congratulations to our Loyd Star Hornets who competed in the State Individual tennis tournament Thursday and Friday. Boys singles Connor Crosby, had an incredible year and lost a close one in the second round. Caylee Grace Yarborough and Faith Bergeron easily won their first match and fought hard in their second but fell to Union in the 2nd round. Ashlyn Locke defeated Leland and Taylorsville but lost in the semi-finals on Friday to the #1 seed from East Webster. So proud of each of these Hornets for playing so well throughout the season.
- If you are interested in playing tennis next school year there is a tennis camp information sheet in the office lobby. Go by and pick one up.
- If you played tennis in 2013-2014 school year and plan on trying out again in 2014-2015, you will need to help out with the tennis camp fundraiser to be held Wed, Jun 11 and Thursday, June 12. Camp begins at 8:30 and ends at 11:30 both days. See Coach Hart ASAP to sign up.
- SENIORS -
- The Will Valentine Memorial Scholarship is now available. Seniors must be nominated for this scholarship. The student must exemplify the volunteer spirit of the Junior Auxiliary and must be an active and constructive participant in their community. If you would like to nominate a student, please come by my office and get a nomination form to complete.
- Seniors planning on attending MS State in the fall of 2014 can attend MSU Orientation but you must register to attend. Register for orientation at www.orientation.msstate.edu Sessions will be filled on a first come first serve basis.
- Any student in grades 9-12 who would be interested in participating in a bass fishing tournament needs to see Ms. Lydia King to pick up information. Students are required to write an essay. The Bass High School Nation group will pick 3 lucky recipients. Any student ages 11-18 who would like to be part of a formal fishing team needs to see Ms. Case to pick up contact info.
- Congratulations to our BAND. They received ALL SUPERIORS in the State Concert Festival in Ridgeland. Thanks to Mr. Neal and the band for your hard work!!! We are so proud of you!!!
- CONGRATULATIONS to the Senior Beta Club. They were recognized as the Mississippi Service Award Champions at the Mississippi Senior Beta Club Convention.
- Cafeteria -The cafeteria is on a new computer program that will not allow you to charge above the $5.00 limit. Please don't get in line if you have been told you are at that limit. The lunchroom cashiers tell you daily the amount you have charged . Please do not put everybody in a hard situation by attempting to charge above the limit. If you have any questions about the amount you owe please ask before getting your plate.
- First Tech Challenge-Mrs. Jessica Franklin's robotics team went to a FTC qualifier on Nov. 9. And won the Inspire Award. Winning that award qualified them for the state championship. They were one of the three teams that qualified. They went to FTC qualifier on Jan. 18, in Jackson. There they won the connect award for involving in their community in the robotics program. They also won the finalist award for their alliance coming in second place in the finals.
- Congratulations to our Hall of Fame recipients: Haley Smith, Reagan Myers, Leanne Locke and Anna Noble
- Congratulations to our Citizenship winners: Seth Farmer and Leanne Locke and also to our Outstanding Character seniors: Dustin Hart and Marlana Smith.
- Sophomores: If you are interested in taking a dual enrollment class at Colin this summer or on a high school campus in the fall, make sure to take your ACT this spring. Once you complete your sophomore year and have an ACT of 16 or above and a GPA of 3.0 or above, you can eligible for dual enrollment classes. ACT DATES: April 12- deadline to register is March 7, 2014, June 14- deadline to register is May 9, 2014
- A very BIG congratulations to Ms. Katie Furr for being named Loyd Star Attendance Center 2013-2014 Teacher of the Year.
- Congratulations!! Haleigh Hux is this year's STAR Student and has selected Mr. Billy Sumrall as STAR teacher.
- Commerical food packaging should NOT be in the cafeteria per federal child nutrition guidelines. If you have food from a commerical entity with branded packaging, please remember you must transfer it to other containers or wrapping PRIOR to bringing it into the cafeteria. Example: Some one brings you lunch from Mc Donalds, packaging must be removed. If you have a non-branded package that is fine. These guidelines apply to employees as well as students.
- Vehicles on Campus - Students with VEHICLES ON CAMPUS must complete the V.O.C. form. Forms are available in the office lobby. Return completed form to Mrs. Della.
- Congratulations to Seth Farmer & Haley Smith. They are our Wendy's Heisman Winners this year.
- Community Service Hours - Students in grades 9-12 who would like community service hours can volunteer to work the basketball concession stand. There is a sign up list in Mrs. Redd's office for those who are interested.
- ACT Dates - ACT dates are posted on the counselor's bulletin board. Make sure you check deadlines to sign up for the ACT.
- Senior Scholarships - Listed in the "Counselor's Corner". Please check this regularly for updates from our school counselor, Mrs. Redd.
- Congratulations to our Who's Who, Class Officers, Favorites, Pageant winners, and Handsomes -
- Mr. & Miss Loyd Star - Bradley Archer & Haleigh Hux
- Best Dressed - Marlana Smith & Sawyer Watts
- Most Courteous - Marlana Smith & Bradley Archer
- Friendliest - Reagan Myers & Bailey Smith
- Most Likely to Succeed - Tyler Dunn & Leanne Locke
- Shyest - Ashley Jones & Dustin Hart
- Best School Spirit - Kenbrianna Foster & Bradley Archer
- Most Dependable - Tyler Dunn & Haleigh Hux
- Most Athletic - Lexie Butler & La' Treall Smith
- Most Artistic- Ashley Jones & Sawyer Watts
- Wittiest - Caleb Windham & Kristen Britt
- Pageant Winners - Kindergarten Division - Macy Jackson, Most Beautiful, Kamryn Faith Robbins, Emma Claire King, lilly Grace Fortenberry, 1st & 2nd Grade Division - Aubrey Claire Bowman, Most Beautiful, Sayerd Harveston, Ady Locke, Madison Altman, Atleigh Anding, 3rd & 4th Divison - Allie Ferguson, Most Beautiful, Wednesday Warren, Jenna Rayne Smith, Lauren Laken Smith, Carson Hughey, 5th & 6th Divison - Madison King, Most Beautiful, Allie Faye Smith, Anna Ferguson, Morgan Brister, Kamyn Barlow, 7th & 8th Divison - Anna Katelyn Britt, Most Beautiful, Darian Strittman, Abby Thomas, Madelynn Thornton, Abigail Grace Smith, 9th & 10th Divison - Makenzie Claire Smith, Most Beautiful, Alexis Norton, Lydia Britt, Taylor Berch, Courtney Rushing, 11th & 12th Divison - Kennedy Foster, Most Beautiful, Kimberly Anding, P'Laura King, Megan Givens, Abigail Hux
- 9-12 Handsomes - Brett Calcote, Most Handsome. Hayden Brownlee, Seth Farmer, Jordan Michell, Caleb Yarborough
- 7-8 Handsomes - Brent Cade, Most Handsom, Blayne Brister, Cade Hodges, Logan Murray, Dane Smith
- 7th Grade - President: Katelyn Smith, Vice President: Brent Cade, Secretary: Dane Smith, Treasurer: Rials Hester
- 8th Grade - President: Bryson Brister, Vice President: Blayne Brister, Secretary; Madison Brister, Treasurer: Brantley Brister
- 9th Grade - President: Courtney Wyant, Vice President: Lesley Walker, Secretary: Pollyanna Patterson, Treasurer: Jered Smith
- 10th Grade - President: Toni Banks, Vice President: Madison Jones, Secretary: Megan Norton, Treasurer: Kelsie McCullough
- 11th Grade - President: Marcey Givens, Vice President: Caitlyn Cade, Secretary: Jordan Michel, Treasurer: Megyn Rhoads
- Senior Class Officers - President: Haley Smith, Vice President: Leanne Locke, Secretary: Anna Noble, Treasurer: Tyler Dunn
- 7th Grade - Anna Kaitlyn Britt, Kaitlyn Smith, Braden Ezell, Brent Cade
- 8th Grade - Halee Henderson, Julecia Smith, Cade Hodges, Dylan Smith
- 9th Grade - Faith Bergeron, Taylor Berch, Konnor Allen, Parker Flowers
- 10th Grade - Julie Smith, Toni Banks, Nathan Britt, Gene Evans
- 11th Grade - Victoria Cupit, Caitlyn Cade, Hayden Brownlee, Peyton Flowers
- Senior Class Favorites - Haleigh Hux, Lexi Butler, Kenbrianna Foster, Ashley Walker, Bailey Smith, La' Treall Smith, Dustin Hart, Sawyer Watts
- Early Dismissal - It is under accountability standards that students who leave school early must sign out. We are going to be audited on this issue. Accountability Standards and Process Standards are required to be met by state law.
- Congratulations - Our principal, Mrs. Robin Case, was elected to serve as the MHSAA District 7 - 2A Executive Committee Member for the 2013 - 2014 term. This committee serves as the legislative body for MHSAA and governs all proposals concerning athletics and other MHSAA sanctioned activities.
- ACT Rule: Any student who registers for the ACT must now upload a picture to actstudent.org and print it on their admission ticket to be admitted to the ACT. Students who do not have this picture printed on their admission ticket will NOT be allowed to enter the testing room on the ACT testing date.