Welcome to Loyd Star Attendance Center! We are a school community who cares deeply about meeting the needs of our student population and providing them with rigorous, standards-based instruction and a comprehensive educational program. Our community of learners are made up of outstanding students, an expert and dedicated staff of caring professionals, active and involved parents and a supportive community. We are committed to working together toward the success of all of the children at Loyd Star Attendance Center.
Loyd Star Attendance Center
1880 Highway 550 NW
Brookhaven, MS 39601
Robin Case, Principal
Loyd Star School Calendar 2013-2014 HERE
Current Events & Important InformationFor more Loyd Star news, CLICK HERE
- TENNIS MATCH TUESDAY, MARCH 4TH AT 4:00 WITH PUCKETT HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED TO WEDNESDAY, MARCH 5TH AT 4:00 AT THE CITY COURTS...
- The Pike County Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Scholarship application is now available in Mrs. Redd's office. This scholarship is based on leadership, academic performance, and/or financial need. It is open to any graduating senior who will be attending a two or four year college by fall 2014. Deadline to apply is March 7, 2014
- Alpha Kappa Sorority Inc., Phi Mu Omega Chapter plans to award scholarships to deserving young ladies who will graduate from high school in 2014. Applications can be picked up in the counselor's office. Deadline to apply is March 14, 2014.
- The Will Valentine Memorial Scholarship is now available. Seniors must be nominated for this scholarship. The student must exemplify the volunteer spirit of the Junior Auxiliary and must be an active and constructive participant in their community. If you would like to nominate a student, please come by my office and get a nomination form to complete
- Congratulations to our Lady Hornet basketball team. They completed their season Friday night in the top 16 teams in Ms. 2A
- Congratulations to our FFA members
- Congratulations to our Choir! They competed yesterday at SWCC. The Jr. High Choir received Superior, the Girls' Ensemble received Superior and the High School Choir received Excellent.
- The Junior Auxillary of Brookhaven is now offering the Crown Scholarships. These awards reflect the student's demonstration of excellence in academics. Recipients must also show extreme financial need or hardship. Applications are available in the counselor's office. Applications must be postmarked by April 1, 2014.
- The Good Southern lifestyle clothing company based in Flowood, MS is proud to announce the launch of their scholarship. They will be awarding four scholarships this year. go to www.thegoodsouth.com/pages/our-cause and apply by April 1, 2014
- to the Senior Beta Club. They were recognized as the Mississippi Service Award Champions at the Mississippi Senior Beta Club Convention.
- Seniors : MSU Lincoln County Alumni Assocation
- is now offering a $500 scholarship to prospective Lincoln County students planning on attending MSU in the fall of 2014.
- Farm Bureau Scholarship applications are now available in the counselor's office. If you or your parents are a member of Farm Bureu, you can pick up an application. Deadline to return information to Farm Bureau is March 31, 2014.
- Dual Enrollment Class - Any juniors or seniors of 2014-2015 who would like to take a dual enrollment class in the fall of 2014 need to come sign up in the counselor's office by Feb. 28. Classes that may be offered on campus or at West Lincoln are English Comp I, English Comp II, and speech. All dual enrollment students have to be registered this spring to be eligible to take a fall class. Students must have a ACT English subscore of 17 in order to take English Comp I or II. If you would like to take dual enrollment classes MAKE SURE to sign up and take the ACT!!!
- Cafeteria -
- First Tech Challenge-Mrs. Jessica Franklin's robotics team went to a FTC qualifier on Nov. 9. And won the Inspire Award. Winnning that award qualified them for the state championship. They were one of the three teams that qualified. They went to FTC qualifier on Jan. 18, in Jackson. There they won the connect award for involving in their community in the robotics program. They also won the finalist award for their alliance coming in second place in the finals. They are leaving Feb. 7 for the state of Mississippi Championship at Ole Miss on Feb. 8 if they place at the event they will compete at the Super Regional competition in San Antonio, TX on Feb. 27 & 28.
- The cafeteria is on a new computer program that will not allow you to charge above the $5.00 limit. Please dont get in line if you have been told you are at that limig. The lunchroom cashiers tell you daily the amount you have charged . Please do not put everybody in a hard situation by attempting to charge above the limit. If you have any questions about the amount you owe please ask before getting your plate.
- : Seniors planning on attending MS State in the fall of 2014 can attend MSU Orientation but you must register to attend. Register for orientation at
- Congratulations to our Hall of Fame recipients: Haley Smith, Reagan Myers, Leanne Locke and Anna Noble
- Congratulations to our Citizenship winners: Seth Farmer and Leanne Locke and also to our Outstanding Character seniors: Dustin Hart and Marlana Smith.
- Return all library books NOW because they are currently taking inventory.
- Sophmores: If you are interested in taking a dual enrollment class at Colin this summer or on a high school campus in the fall, make sure to take your ACT this spring. Once you complete your sophmore year and have an ACT of 16 or above and a GPA of 3.0 or above, you can eligible for dual enrollment classes. ACT DATES: April 12- deadline to register is March 7, 2014, June 14- deadline to register is May 9, 2014
- . Sessions will be filled on a first come first serve basis.
- The Exchange Club of Brookhaven
- is offering a
- for $1000 per year for four years. The criteria in selecting this scholarhsip recipient include service, leadership, community involvement, GPA, ACT scores and a short essay. Applications can be picked up in the counselor's office.
- 2014 Varsity Tennis Team has been chosen. Congratulations to Bryson Brister, Reid Butler, Connor Crosby, Tyler Dunn, Cole Moak, Gavin Thomas, Toni Banks, Faith Bergeron, Madisyn Brister, Julie Kramer, Ashlyn Locke, Jordan Shelby, & Caylee Grace Yarborough, & our 2014 Junior Varsity Tennis Team: Jacob Piazza, Ruby McCullough, Caitlyn Cade, Lani Smith, Anna Thomas.
- Senior MS Scholars need to come by Mrs. Redd's office asap and pick up a MS Scholars Scholarship Application. If this application isn't completed and turned to Mrs. Redd then you will not be eligible for a MS Scholar's Scholarship.
- A very BIG congratulations to Ms. Katie Furr for being named Loyd Star Attendance Center 2013-2014 Teacher of the Year.
- Any junior or senior boy who would like to apply for the opportunity to attend the American Legion Boys State can pick up an information packet and application in Mrs. Redd's office. Deadline to apply is May 10, 2104
- Congratulations!! Haleigh Hux is this year's STAR Student and has selected Mr. Billy Sumrall as STAR teacher. Proud of all your accomplishments Haleigh!
- Commerical food packaging should NOT be in the cafeteria per federal child nutrition guidelines. If you have food from a commerical entity with branded packaging, please remember you must transfer it to other containers or wrapping PRIOR to bringing it into the cafeteria. Example: Some one brings you lunch from Mc Donalds, packaging must be removed. If you have a non-branded package that is fine. These guidelines apply to employees as well as students.
- Vehicles on Campus - Students with VEHICLES ON CAMPUS must complete the V.O.C. form. Forms are available in the office lobby. Return completed form to Mrs. Della.
- MS State University Rural Medical Scholars Program Summer Opportunity- Seniors or juniors who are interested in the medical can apply for the MS State University Rural Scholars program summer opportunity. This program encourages high school students interested in pursuing a career as a family medical physician. Students who are accepted will attend MSU for 5 weeks this summer (June 1-July 7) & take two pre-med courses (biology & socialogy) and observe doctors at practice. If you are interested and have a 25 or above on your ACT, please see Mrs. Redd. Deadline is March 15, 2014.
- Congratulations to Seth Farmer & Haley Smith. They are our Wendy's Heisman Winners this year.
- Community Service Hours - Students in grades 9-12 who would like community service hours can volunteer to work the basketball concession stand. There is a sign up list in Mrs. Redd's office for those who are interested.
- ACT Dates - ACT dates are posted on the counselor's bulletin board. Make sure you check deadlines to sign up for the ACT.
- Senior Scholarships - Listed in the "Counselor's Corner". Please check this regularly for updates from our school counselor, Mrs. Redd.
- Congratulations to our Who's Who, Class Officers, Favorites, Pageant winners, and Handsomes -
- Mr. & Miss Loyd Star - Bradley Archer & Haleigh Hux
- Best Dressed - Marlana Smith & Sawyer Watts
- Most Courteous - Marlana Smith & Bradley Archer
- Friendliest - Reagan Myers & Bailey Smith
- Most Likely to Succeed - Tyler Dunn & Leanne Locke
- Shyest - Ashley Jones & Dustin Hart
- Best School Spirit - Kenbrianna Foster & Bradley Archer
- Most Dependable - Tyler Dunn & Haleigh Hux
- Most Athletic - Lexie Butler & La' Treall Smith
- Most Artisitc - Ashley Jones & Sawyer Watts
- Wittiest - Caleb Windham & Kristen Britt
- Pageant Winners - Kindergarten Division - Macy Jackson, Most Beautiful, Kamryn Faith Robbins, Emma Claire King, lilly Grace Fortenberry, 1st & 2nd Grade Division - Aubrey Claire Bowman, Most Beautiful, Sayerd Harveston, Ady Locke, Madison Altman, Atleigh Anding, 3rd & 4th Divison - Allie Ferguson, Most Beautiful, Wednesday Warren, Jenna Rayne Smith, Lauren Laken Smith, Carson Hughey, 5th & 6th Divison - Madison King, Most Beautiful, Allie Faye Smith, Anna Ferguson, Morgan Brister, Kamyn Barlow, 7th & 8th Divison - Anna Katelyn Britt, Most Beautiful, Darian Strittman, Abby Thomas, Madelynn Thornton, Abigail Grace Smith, 9th & 10th Divison - Makenzie Claire Smith, Most Beautiful, Alexis Norton, Lydia Britt, Taylor Berch, Courtney Rushing, 11th & 12th Divison - Kennedy Foster, Most Beautiful, Kimberly Anding, P'Laura King, Megan Givens, Abigail Hux
- 9-12 Handsomes - Brett Calcote, Most Handsome. Hayden Brownlee, Seth Farmer, Jordan Michell, Caleb Yarborough
- 7-8 Handsomes - Brent Cade, Most Handsom, Blayne Brister, Cade Hodges, Logan Murray, Dane Smith
- 7th Grade - President: Katelyn Smith, Vice President: Brent Cade, Secretary: Dane Smith, Treasurer: Rials Hester
- 8th Grade - President: Bryson Brister, Vice President: Blayne Brister, Secretary; Madison Brister, Treasurer: Brantley Brister
- 9th Grade - President: Courtney Wyant, Vice President: Lesley Walker, Secretary: Pollyanna Patterson, Treasurer: Jered Smith
- 10th Grade - President: Toni Banks, Vice President: Madison Jones, Secretary: Megan Norton, Treasurer: Kelsie McCullough
- 11th Grade - President: Marcey Givens, Vice President: Caitlyn Cade, Secretary: Jordan Michel, Treasurer: Megyn Rhoads
- Senior Class Officers - President: Haley Smith, Vice President: Leanne Locke, Secretary: Anna Noble, Treasurer: Tyler Dunn
- 7th Grade - Anna Kaitlyn Britt, Kaitlyn Smith, Braden Ezell, Brent Cade
- 8th Grade - Halee Henderson, Julecia Smith, Cade Hodges, Dylan Smith
- 9th Grade - Faith Bergeron, Taylor Berch, Konnor Allen, Parker Flowers
- 10th Grade - Julie Smith, Toni Banks, Nathan Britt, Gene Evans
- 11th Grade - Victoria Cupit, Caitlyn Cade, Hayden Brownlee, Peyton Flowers
- Senior Class Favorites - Haleigh Hux, Lexi Butler, Kenbrianna Foster, Ashley Walker, Bailey Smith, La' Treall Smith, Dustin Hart, Sawyer Watts
- Beta Club News -
- Beta Club meetings for 2013-2014 school year will be on Thursdays during break.
- The Mississippi Senior Beta Club convention will be held on February 16-19, 2014. The convention is held in Tupelo. The cost for the convention this year is $190. This includes your convention registration, hotel room, convention t-shirt, and five meals.
- Members please keep up with your community service hours.
- Early Dismissal - It is under accountablity standards that students who leave school early must sign out. We are going to be audited on this issue. Accountability Standards and Process Standards are required to be met by state law.
- Congratulations - Our principal, Mrs. Robin Case, was elected to serve as the MHSAA District 7 - 2A Executive Committee Member for the 2013 - 2014 term. This committee serves as the legislative body for MHSAA and governs all proposals concerning athletics and other MHSAA sanctioned activities.
- Early Dismissal (11th and 12th grade only) - Remember you may ONLY sign out in office prior to leaving campus.
- Student insurance forms are available in the office lobby.
- ACT Rule: Any student who registers for the ACT must now upload a picture to actstudent.org and print it on their admission ticket to be admitted to the ACT. Students who do not have this picture printed on their admission ticket will NOT be allowed to enter the testing room on the ACT testing date.